The BioFuel Oasis Cooperative, a Biodiesel Station & Urban Farm Store in Berkeley, is seeking a new employee who will, in time, become a worker-owner.
Most important is that the person have real world experience with (and like to talk and explain to others about!)
1. Biodiesel—all aspects of the alternative fuel, from sustainable production practices to basic function in vehicles—and
2. urban farming—chickens, beekeeping, and vegetable growing.
Also required is that the person have experience in at least 3 out of the following:
1. Customer service/retail OR teaching/training (as our customer service includes a lot of education about biodiesel/urban farming)
2. Accounting, bookkeeping, Quickbooks or similar, likes math
3. Proficient/quick to learn on computers, Mac & PC, solid knowledge of Excel and Word
4. Mechanically inclined, proficient with tools (plumbing, carpentry)
5. Worked for a small business (including your parents owning a small business) OR have experience with a housing or worker-owned co-op, sharing space, or consensus decision-making
(Note that the job includes all of the above, so we want someone capable of learning a lot of different skill areas well.)
The candidate would also be a quick learner with an eye toward details, enjoy multi-tasking, have an outgoing, friendly personality, and be able to easily build long-term relationships with both customers and vendors.
Other skills that are a plus:
-Experience in a related area (i.e. fermentation, cheese-making, goats)
-Live in the East Bay/close to our station
Starting Payrate: $16/hr (plus quarterly bonuses)
Hours: 20-25 hrs/week including one Saturday/month
Vacations: 4 weeks unpaid vacation /year, 1 week at a time. No time-off for first 3
months as we will be focused on training.
Commitment: Initial one year commitment as an employee, 5-10 year commitment if continue on to worker-owner track
Worker-Owner compensation ranges from $19-28 per hour (due to profit sharing) health and wellness benefits, other benefits, and paid vacation.
This position is the 1st Step in our Worker/Owner Process:
1st Step: Employee for 6-12 months – learns tasks that are foundations of our business: half of time is spent retail/helping customers, half of time mix of accounting, ordering merchandise, and physical basics of our equipment.
2nd Step: Employee on Worker-Owner Track for 1 year – starts to manage tasks & areas of the business gradually, learn higher level accounting/financials, and gains more responsibilities and knowledge of business. This year is spent evaluating whether the employee and the current worker-owners think it is a good fit.
3rd Step: Worker-Owner – 2 years of working and learning all aspects of the business so you know how to do 90% of all the work we do here. Worker-owners know how to do all the areas of the business so we can fill in for others easily and switch around tasks every year or so to keep it interesting.
How to Apply:
Please send resumes and cover letters to firstname.lastname@example.org by end of day Monday, September 10. In your cover letter, please outline your biodiesel, chicken, beekeeping, & customer service/teaching experience. No phone calls please.